The fundamental right of every eligible voter to cast their ballot and every resident to have their voice heard as a member of society are cornerstones of our democracy. How we deploy resources, make real the social norms and standards across every community, shape our daily lives through policy, and move forward the shared values of this country are all based on these foundational principles.
The COVID-19 pandemic has called into question how we as a nation can ensure elections are free of barriers for all eligible voters. This crisis requires the federal government, in partnership with states, to provide dedicated resources to guarantee that all communities—especially those systematically left behind—are included.
The NAACP is calling for:
- The Federal Government to provide funds to states to improve election administration and upgrade voting systems that comply with the CDC standard regarding COVID-19.
- The Federal Government to create minimum standards for states to follow in several key areas of election administration to ensure full and safe voter participation such as an extended early voting period and vote-by-mail.
- The Federal Government, through the Election Assistance Commission, must serve as a clearinghouse for election administration information that complies with the health standards to ensure safe and full voter participation.
How You Can Help:
- Donate towards our efforts to equip frontline advocates committed to raising awareness for political, educational, social, and economic equality for communities of color in the electoral and legislative process.
- Sign-up to support our voting advocacy initiatives.