In Partnership with
A Next-Level Editing Opportunity
The NAACP Editing Fellowship program, in partnership with Adobe, is a 14-week paid fellowship that includes training, mentorship, and hands-on workplace experience. This Fellowship is for individuals who have some experience with video editing.
Intensive Week-Long Retreat
Fellows will gather in Los Angeles to kick off the program with a week-long retreat. Participants will receive four days of Adobe Creative Cloud skills training from an Adobe Certified Trainer, where they will learn editing fundamentals and how to customize their workflows with innovative new features such as Text-Based Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and Frame.io Camera to Cloud.
Fellows will also enjoy an invite to Adobe MAX 2023, networking dinners, and more surprises.
Industry Mentorship Pairing
Participants will be paired with a mentor for the 14-week program, providing access to one-on-one guidance and career advice. Anticipated mentors include Daysha Broadway, ACE ("Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody," "Insecure"), E.J. Barrois ("The Challenge," "Keeping Up with the Kardashians"), Sandra Montiel, ACE ("The Good Doctor," "Brooklyn Nine Nine"), and Stephanie Filo, ACE ("A Black Lady Sketch Show," "Dahmer"). Learn more about our mentors below.
Notable industry experts across disciplines will discuss different facets of the editing business in special conversations hosted for our fellows. These classes, available on-demand via the NAACP's social channels, will provide insights for anyone interested in pursuing a career in post-production. Learn more about our anticipated featured speakers below.
To gain invaluable work experience, fellows will participate in up to four workplace rotations within the NAACP Content Team and with Oscar-winning post-production company Parallax. Each rotation will span three to six weeks for 20 hours per week. Planned rotations include:
- NAACP Special Events and Social Media Content, creating video assets from NAACP's quarterly event activations (i.e. Image Awards, National Convention, etc.)
- NAACP Video Podcasts, working in-studio helping to develop NAACP podcast content
- NAACP Virtual Production Studio, generating dynamic content for NAACP social media platforms
- Parallax, working with the award-winning post-production company behind "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and "BLKNWS" on in-development projects (local fellows only)
3-Year Subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps Plan
Fellows will receive a video editors kit, including a Mac laptop, keyboard, mouse, headphones, and other tools to use during the fellowship. Fellows will also get a free subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud for three years as part of this position.
- Complete all scheduled days of kickoff week training with Adobe Premiere Pro
- Complete workplace rotations (20 hours per week for 13 weeks), using Adobe Creative Cloud, reporting to NAACP and partner workplace rotations on a number of projects
- Meet with an assigned mentor a minimum of 8 times through the duration of the program
- Participate in Craft Conversations events during the program
The NAACP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the continuing policy of the NAACP to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees, and applicants from historically marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have 1-2 years of training or experience with editing as an assistant editor or non-union editor.
- Applicants must have basic proficiency with a professional non-linear editing tool (preferably Adobe Premiere Pro); expect work rotation duties to be performed exclusively with Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Applicants must be available to come to Los Angeles to participate in the kickoff week, October 9-13, 2023 (plus travel time). Travel expenses will be covered for non-local participants.
- Applicants must be available to work part-time for 14 weeks as an NAACP Editing Fellow from October 2023-January 2024. Holiday breaks will be held from November 23-24, 2023, and December 18, 2023 - January 1, 2024.
Director, Producer, Screenwriter
Visual Effects Artist and Co-Founder, Perception
Co-Head of Production, Innovative Artists
Creator, Showrunner, Screenwriter, and Executive Producer
Production Agent/Partner, WME
Co-Head, Motion Pictures, WPA
Equity matters, and it is incumbent upon those of us who sit in positions of power and authority to help identify solutions to advance diversity and inclusion both in front of and behind the lens. It's an honor to work with a like-minded partner in Adobe, which shows up at the table with ideas and resources that make a tangible impact.- Kyle Bowser, Senior Vice President, NAACP Hollywood Bureau