David Walker was born the 7th of 13 children to the late Steve and Wesiona Walker in Eufaula, Alabama. He completed his elementary education in Eufaula, Alabama, and graduated from Ballard-Hudson High School in Macon, Georgia. He attended Morris Brown College in Atlanta, GA, and received his BS degree from Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina. He further his education by attending the Interdenominational Theological Center-Turner Seminary in Atlanta, GA, and was awarded his Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree in Psychology and pastoral Care. Additional Studies included the University of Minnesota (Duluth Campus) and LaSalle University School of Law.
He served his country, during the Viet Nam War, and was honorably discharged from the United States Air Force after six and one-half years (6 . ½). He retired from the South Carolina Employment Security Commission after 28 years; holding positions of responsibility to include: Disabled Veteran Representative, Veterans Supervisor, Employer RelationSupervisor, and the last 5 years as the Assistant Area Director for the Aiken Office.
His community and civic involvement are too numerous to name them all; however, he is serving or has served the following organizations:
Past Community and Civic Involvement
- President, Aiken Branch NAACP (Aiken, SC) (9) years
- Served as the local (Aiken) and state (SC) Assistant Treasurer of the NAACP
- Served for 13 years as a member of the National Election Supervisory Committee of the NAACP
- Board of Trustee-Aiken County Board of Education Career Center (15 years)
- Chairman- Aiken/Barnwell Head Start Policy Council, (3) years
- Aiken County Board of Education, Area 1 Advisory Council, (15 years, 8 as Vice-Chair & 4 years as Chairman)
- Aiken/Barnwell Community Action Commission (15 years)
- Member, Search Committee, (Superintendent) Aiken County Public School System
- Chairman, South Carolina State Conference NAACP Election Procedure Committee (11 years) Chairman, South Carolina State Conference NAACP Credential Committee (14 years) Chairman
- Chairman, South Carolina State Conference NAACP By-Laws Committee (8 years)
- Alpha Phi Alpha, Man of the year
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Junior Vice Commander
- Board of Diversity, Westinghouse Savannah River Company
- Board Member, Aiken Chamber of Commerce
- 2007 Graduated of the Columbia Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Citizen Academy Member, Search Committee (President/CEO), Aiken United Way
- 2001 & 2006 recipient of the "William H. "Bill" Griffin Community Service Award from the SC Chapter of the International Association of Workforce Professionals (IAWP)
- 1999-2008 "Willar H. Hightower, Sr. Aiken Branch NAACP Membership Award
Current Community and Civic Involvement
- President, McDuffie County Branch NAACP
- Board member Aiken County 1st Step Partnership (Chairman of Nomination & Personal Committee), 14 years
- Member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Columbia Citizens Academy Alumni Association.
- President Emeritus of the Aiken Branch NAACP (Aiken, SC)
- Chair, Georgia State Conference NAACP By-Laws Committee
- Life member, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- Member of the National Board of Directors NAACP
- Member of Preliminary Inquiry Committee of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
- 52 years in the preaching ministry in the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME Church), past 10 years, pastor of Greater St. James AME Church in Thomson, GA
He is married to Bobbie Holt Walker of Macon, GA, and they are the proud parents of 5 children, 15 grandchildren, and 4 great-grandchildren.