NAACP Travel Advisory for the State of Florida
Under its current Governor, the State of Florida has engaged in an all-out attack on Black Americans, accurate Black history, voting rights, members of the LGBTQ+community, immigrants, women's reproductive rights, and free speech, while simultaneously embracing a culture of fear, bullying, and intimidation by public officials. In his effort to rewrite American history to exclude the voices, contributions of African Americans and the challenges they overcame despite the systemic racism that African Americans have faced since first arriving in this country, Governor DeSantis has signed various controversial anti-civil rights measures into law; including the Combatting Violence, Disorder and Looting and Law Enforcement Protection Act Florida HB 1, Stop Wrongs against Our Kids and Employees Act ("Stop W.O.K.E. Act") Florida HB 7, Constitutional Carry Act Florida House HB 543, Florida Senate Bill 266, and Florida Senate Bill 7066.
Under the leadership of Governor Ron DeSantis, the State of Florida has criminalized protests, restricted the ability of educators to teach African-American history, and engaged in a blatant war against diversity and inclusion. On a seeming quest to silence African-American voices, the Governor and the State of Florida have shown that African Americans are not welcome in the State of Florida. Due to this sustained, blatant, relentless and systemic attack on democracy and civil rights, the NAACP hereby issues a travel advisory to African Americans, and other people of color regarding the hostility towards African Americans in Florida.
Please be advised that Florida is openly hostile toward African Americans, people of color and LGBTQ+ individuals. Before traveling to Florida, please understand that the State of Florida devalues and marginalizes the contributions of and the challenges faced by African Americans and other minorities.
If you decide to travel to Florida:
- Please be advised that Florida public schools will not teach your children accurate African-American history, which includes a history of enslavement, segregation, racial injustice, and systemic racism.
- Please be advised that the State of Florida does not value diversity, equity, and inclusion in Florida schools, colleges, and universities.
- Please be advised that the State of Florida does not welcome the contributions of African Americans and people of color.
Please be advised that individuals may carry concealed firearms without permits in Florida.
Please be advised that there is a stand-your-ground law in Florida.
If you do decide to travel to Florida, please exercise extreme care in all parts of the state. Be aware of your surroundings.
- If you do decide to go to the State of Florida, please be aware of the open hostility towards African Americans and people of color.
- If you do decide to go to the State of Florida, please advocate for legislation that supports diversity in all aspects of education.
- If you do decide to go to the State of Florida, please advocate for the right to peacefully assemble and protest any unjust laws or actions by the State.
- If you do decide to go to the State of Florida, please advocate for the protection of African-American's right to vote.
- We urge all, including those who travel to the State of Florida, to join the NAACP in our fight against the unjust attack on civil liberties, principles of diversity and inclusion, the right to vote, and the right to assemble in peaceful protest.
If you are a resident of Florida, we ask you to join us in our advocacy efforts to defeat the regressive policies of this Governor and this state legislature. Our greatest asset is the voice of the millions who speak up every day to protect our democracy and our civil rights.
This advisory will remain in effect until further notice.